Before the lights all come down and the returned-for-wrong-address cards stop appearing in the mail (darn it!), I thought I’d share some photos from our holidays. Just a few favorite Christmas-y ones… I have plenty more Southern California posts in mind for next week.
Highlights included: For the very first time, stringing lights outside…
To those of you celebrating Christmas, have a merry one! I hope you get whatever you’re wishing for!
Him! Hudson feels exactly the way I do about the “All I want for Christmas” scene in Love, Actually!
He’s not, however, so fond of Santa.
[images from top: Colin Firth via Fanpop; Hudson dances to Christmas music from Aron Bruhn on Vimeo; our friend as Santa at a Harp and Beer holiday party]
Just a few photos our friends took for us while we were picking up our tree over the weekend. We’ve set it up–and it smells so good–but we’ve yet to string the lights or place any ornaments. We’re thinking about going lights-only this year, since Hudson would likely try and pull any ornaments down; and, as I noted in this little Kinfolk video, a simple tree can be really beautiful.
We went to the Boy Scouts tree lot this year–and Hudson was laughing and having a blast walking around in the muddy wood chips. Maybe next year we’ll take him into the foothills to cut our own. Or maybe we’ll go the potted tree route. (I read somewhere that you need to keep a faux tree for 20 years to make it more eco-friendly than a live tree, but that the most sustainable option of all–besides foregoing–is a potted tree. This company and this one rent them and then re-plant them! So brilliant.)
P.S. Our tree last year (look how little Hudson is!) in New York, and in California; and the year before, when it was just the two of us. (Or not really, since I was secretly pregnant!)
[Top two photos by our friend, Ben Brezing--thanks, Ben!]
(1) I’ve had these bags by Valhalla pinned for ages now. A very Brooklyn bag. (And P.S. Did you know you can buy Etsy gift cards now?)
(2) The Gilmore Girls Complete Series on DVD–because they’re not on Hulu or Netflix, darn it!
(3) Round out her collection with still-relevant, out-of-print issues of Domino Magazine.
(4) A beautiful Turkish Towel.
(5) Classic riding Boots will be a huge hit. It’s a thrill to open the giant box and get that whiff of leather. And these will last forever.
(6) These will come in handy when the weather warms up: A set of waxed canvas Panniers for riding bikes together.
(7) The new Eames coffee table book.
(8) I think the LemLem Split Scarf is gorgeous. But it’s the sort of thing I would never splurge on myself. I’m guessing there are many others out there who would love this just as much as I would.
(9) A gold-dotted dish for keeping her earrings in.
(10) Gorgeous coasters. I don’t actually like to make people use coasters, but for these might require an exception.
(11) A perfectly simple, gold, Michael Kors Women’s watch (that’s big enough to fit on a man’s wrist).
(12) All of the best cafes in New York seemed to use these Classic Italian Cappucino Cups